Gain Your Owl Edge: The Benefits of Externships

Aside from Baker 13 in December, syllabus week office hours and Duncan’s first semester public, the Owl Edge Externship Program may be one of Rice’s most underutilized student activities.

Before I discuss more, however, you may be wondering what an externship is.

Externships are 1-4 day “mini internships” with CCD-recruited employers (most of them are Rice alumni) that serve as introductions to a specific employer or industry. Thus, most experiences involve some degree of shadowing or sitting in on meetings rather than projects or assignments. They are usually offered during extended breaks (Winter and Spring Break) and can be applied to via RICElink: Powered by Handshake.

Last Spring Break, I had the opportunity to extern with the general counsel of a large oil company. While I did not accomplish anything tangible nor did I go on to work for them, my experience was invaluable; thus, I want to convince all of you about the benefits of externships.

1. Externships are opportunities to determine if a particular career appeals to you.

As a pre-med, I have had my eyes set on medical school for a while now. However, over the past year, I have begun to (slightly) consider incorporating my economics background into other career opportunities, including law. Fortunately, I was able to spend my day with a corporate lawyer and observe firsthand what the profession entails. While I realized that the profession was not necessarily for me, I still felt satisfied knowing that I had at least considered the field.

To make a long story short, you don’t have to have experience in a field in order to apply for an externship. In fact, just mentioning that you are interested in the line of work or want to learn more about the field itself on the application will make you a great candidate!

2. Externships are entry points to fields you don’t necessarily have experience in.

Say you really want to work for a consulting firm next summer, but you’re worried that you don’t have the necessary skills or experience to get the job. Luckily, externships can really help you tell a story during your interview. Externing with a consulting firm may convey an interest in the field that your work experience doesn’t. Even better is the fact that externships are low commitment, meaning that you immediately become a more qualified candidate for a specific job with little time on your part.

3. Externships will widen your professional network.

In most cases, employers or companies ask the CCD for externs simply because they want to provide you with a beneficial professional experience rather than receive something in return. In most cases, companies will plan your entire schedule in accordance with your interests. Not only will you have the opportunity to network with people in the company, you will often have the opportunity to discuss your interests more intimately with the Rice alum who recruited you. He or she can easily refer you to certain people or positions, or maybe even encourage you to come work for them!  

4. Externships shows commitment and dedication to employers in the future.

Participating in an externship during one of your holidays shows professional commitment to employers during interviews. Furthermore, you will have specific knowledge of the job or field that you can expound upon from your experience, which will make you sound more knowledgeable and intelligent.

5. And finally, externships are really fun and educational!

You will learn a ton about a company or job just after working with them for a few hours. You may decide that the company is one you would like to work for someday or maybe that you no longer want to pursue a certain field. Externships are also social opportunities for you to network with alum, other company employees and sometimes, administrative members. They are often flexible and can be catered specifically to your interests. During my externship, I had lunch with my supervisor, met the CEO and attended a staff chili cook-off!

All in all, I hope that now you will be more likely to pursue externship opportunities in the future. Be on the lookout for postings about the Owl Edge Externship Program in CCD emails.  Postings will be published on RICElink: Powered by Handshake.  Email me at an23@rice.edu if you have any other questions!

amannarayan

Aman Narayan is a Peer Career Advisor from Sid Richardson College.  He is a sophomore pre-med studying economics and policy studies.

arb14